Syed Awais Wahab Shah
Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong
Google Scholar LinkedIn ResearchGate GitHub
From a broad perspective, my research focus is to extract meaningful information from the “Big Data”.
Currently, under the supervision of Prof. Matthew McKay, I am analyzing “viral genomic data” using inter-disciplinary “statistical signal processing” and “statistical machine learning” methods and tools.
Previously, I have used statistical and signal processing methods for various applications of wireless communications such as blind source separation and incorporation of UAVs in a 5G network.
- Sep. 2013 – Jan. 2016: MS in Electrical Engineering, King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals (KFUPM), Dhahran, Saudi Arabia MS Thesis
- Feb. 2008 – Jan. 2012: BS in Electrical Engineering, COMSATS Institute of Information Technology (CIIT), Islamabad, Pakistan
- Nov. 2016 – Jul. 2018: Research Assistant, Qatar University, Doha, Qatar
- Jun. 2015 – Aug. 2015: Visiting Research Scholar, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Delft, Netherlands
- Jan. 2015 – May. 2015: Visiting Research Scholar, King Abdullah University of Science & Technology (KAUST), Thuwal, Saudi Arabia
- S. A. W. Shah, K. Abed-Meraim, T. Y. Al-Naffouri, “Batch Blind Source Separation Algorithms using Hyperbolic and Givens Rotations for QAM constellations in MIMO systems”, in IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing (TSP), vol. 66, no. 7, pp. 1802-1816, Nov. 2017.
- S. A. W. Shah, Tamer Khattab, Muhammad Zeeshan Shakir, Mazen O. Hasna, “Association of Networked Flying Platforms with Small Cells for Network Centric 5G+ C-RAN”, in Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), Montreal, QC, Canada, pp. 1-7, 2017.
- S. A. W. Shah, Tamer Khattab, Muhammad Zeeshan Shakir, Mazen O. Hasna, “A Distributed Approach for Networked Flying Platform Association with Small Cells in 5G+ Networks”, in Proc. IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), Singapore, pp. 1-7, 2017.
- S. A. W. Shah, K. Abed-Meraim, T. Y. Al-Naffouri, “Multi-Modulus algorithms using Hyperbolic and Givens rotations for blind deconvolution of MIMO systems”, in Proc. IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), South Brisbane, QLD, pp. 2155-2159, 2015.
Honors and awards
- Jun. 2022: Gold Award at Global AI Challenge for Building E&M Facilities 2022 certificate gold medal
- Aug. 2018 – present: Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS), Hong Kong
- Sep. 2013 – Jan. 2016: MS Scholarship from King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals (KFUPM), Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
- Mar. 2012: Chancellor Gold Medal from COMSATS Institute of Information Technology (CIIT), Pakistan The News
- Mar. 2012: Campus Gold Medal from COMSATS Institute of Information Technology (CIIT), Pakistan
- Aug. 2008 – Jun. 2011: Merit Scholarship from COMSATS Institute of Information Technology (CIIT), Islamabad, Pakistan