Research Assistant Professor and Postdoctoral Fellow Positions in Machine/Deep Learning and Computational Immunology at HKUST, ECE Department
Research Assistant Professor (RAP) and postdoctoral fellow (PDF) positions are available in the Signal Processing and Computational Biology (SPCB) group in the Department of Electronic & Computer Engineering at The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST). Each RAP/PDF will contribute to one of two projects, involving development of machine learning and/or deep learning models. Project 1 will address challenges related to COVID-19 evolution, immunology, and vaccine design using genetic sequence data, while Project 2 involves developing automated systems for detecting eye diseases from image data. The SPCB group is involved in multiple Hong Kong government funded projects (e.g., see here) and works with diverse collaborators, including collaborators at the Chinese University of Hong Kong Eye Center, School of Public Health at the Hong Kong University, the Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity in Melbourne, and the Kirby Institute of the University of New South Wales.
Due to the interdisciplinary nature of the research, candidates should have strong experience in one or more of machine/deep learning, signal/image processing, mathematics, and bioinformatics/computational biology. For the COVID-19 related project, knowledge of immunology would be a plus. The selected candidate(s) will be expected to work independently and be highly motivated to conduct impactful research in machine/deep learning applications.
The expected starting date of the available positions is Jan. 2023. Earlier start dates will be preferred.
- One- to two-year fixed-term contract, with the possibility of renewal
- Competitive salaries commensurate with experience and relevance to the research projects
- Annual leave, and medical and dental benefits
- University contribution to a retirement benefits scheme
- Contract-end gratuity, where applicable
- Support to spend period(s) at the collaborating institutions, subject to performance and upon mutual agreement
- Candidates with previous PDF experience and excellent research profile would be considered for RAP position
- Ph.D. in Electrical/Electronic/Computer Engineering or other relevant fields including Mathematics/Statistics, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, and Physics/Biophysics
- Outstanding academic record and strong mathematical background
- Exceptional communication skills in English, both written and verbal
- Programming experience with MATLAB, Python and/or R; experience in developing web-based software platforms would be a plus
- Research publications in reputable peer-reviewed conferences or journals
How to apply?
Applications should be emailed directly to Prof. Ahmed Abdul Quadeer (eeaaquadeer[at]ust[dot]hk) with the email subject, “Prospective RAP/PDF candidate”. Application must include (i) candidate’s latest resume and (ii) a cover letter describing candidate’s background and experience relevant to the opportunity. References should be provided, if available.
Prospective applicants are advised to browse through the research work at the SPCB group’s website. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
HKUST is an elite international university in Hong Kong. It is currently ranked 40th in the world among all universities worldwide (QS World University Rankings). The ECE department at HKUST is ranked 20th in the world in Engineering and Technology (QS World University Rankings).