Syed Muhammad Umer Abdullah
- 2021: MPhil in Electronic and Computer Engineering, The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology, Hong Kong
Thesis: Methods for inferring selection from short-read time-series genomic data
- 2012: Bachelor of Electrical Engineering, National University of Sciences & Technology, Pakistan
- 2021: Research Assistant II, State Key Laboratory for Emerging Infectious Diseases, Department of Microbiology, The University of Hong Kong cum Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong,
- 2019: Summer Researcher, Barton Lab, Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of California, Riverside, USA
- 2013: Research Associate, Department of Electrical Engineering, COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Pakistan
- 2016-2017: Teaching Assistant, Department of Electronic and Computer Engineering, The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology, Hong Kong
- S. M. U. Abdullah, N. Rehman, M. M. Khan, and D. P. Mandic, ”A Multivariate Empirical Mode Decomposition Based Approach to Pansharpening,” Geoscience and Remote Sensing, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 53, no. 7, pp. 3974-3984, 2015.
- N. Rehman, S. Ehsan, S. M. U. Abdullah, M. J. Akhtar, D. P. Mandic, and K. D. McDonald-Maier, ”Multi-Scale Pixel-Based Image Fusion Using Multivariate Empirical Mode Decomposition,” Sensors, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 10923-10947, 2015.
Journal papers Reviewed
- IEEE Signal Processing Letters
- IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters
- IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing
- Future Virology
- 2015: Well Completions Certification, Halliburton Technical Excellence Center (HTEC), Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS, Malaysia
- 2013-2015: Associate Technical Professional , Halliburton Completion Tools, Halliburton Worldwide Limited, Pakistan
- Running Halliburton Wireline Set & Hydraulic Set Completion packers (BWS, BWD, TWT, HPS, TWJ and MHR). Ran ENI Pakistan’s first 15K completion at the well Badhra South Deep-1.
- Running Halliburton Self Equalizing & Non Self Equalizing TRSCSSV’s (NE®, SP®, WellStar®), Otis® Selective and Non Selective Flow Control Equipment.
- Design of well completion strings meeting client specifications, preemption and prevention of potential tubing failure using Halliburton Cyberstring® Software, identifying design improvements for cost optimization.
- Identification and prevention of potential casing damage using Halliburton SlipForce® Software.
- Redressing, Pressure Testing and Running of Halliburton Well Services tools Sub Surface Control (Storm) Valve, BO Hydraulic Setting Tool, HS Hydraulic Setting Tool, Mechanical Setting Tool and RTTS Packer. Running, setting and drilling of EZSVB® Cement Retainer & Bridge Plug
- Acquisition and Analysis of Flowing and Shut in Bottom Hole Pressure & Temperature data using Spartek Quartzdyne EMR gauges.
- Safety meeting sessions for employees on Lithium battery safety, Sour Gas safety, Chemical handling, Trapped pressure, Lifting & Hoisting, Defensive driving, Permit to Work and Hand & Finger Safety.
- Working knowledge of the Halliburton SAP® Asset Maintenance Management System.
- Running of Otis® Slickline tools and working knowledge of Slickline Jobs of Test tool setting & retrieval, Data Acquisition, TCP, Fishing, LIB, Gauge Cutting and Swaging.
- Working knowledge of Wireline jobs of Packer Setting with CPST and CCL, CBL/VDL, VSP, RA marker depth correlation, Back off, Tubing puncturing and Tubing Cutting (Power/Chemical).
- Working knowledge of fishing operations and equipment, hands on experience on using Taper Tap, Overshot and Grapple.
Honors and Awards
- Oct. 2008 – Aug. 2012: Corps of E&ME Commandant’s Plaque of Honor for outstanding academic performance, National University of Sciences and Technology, Pakistan
- Oct. 2008 – Aug. 2012: Corps of E&ME Commandant’s Distinguished Student Award for academic excellence, National University of Sciences and Technology, Pakistan
- July. 2008: Stood 2nd among 40000 candidates in University Entrance Examination, National University of Sciences and Technology, Pakistan
- Nov. 2007-Dec. 2007: Represented Pakistan as Student Ambassador at the SAARC student exchange program, New Delhi, India
- Sep. 2006- Jul. 2008: Awarded merit scholarship for performance in Higher Secondary School Certificate examination by Federal Directorate of Education, Pakistan
- Sep. 2004- Jul. 2006: Awarded merit scholarship for performance in Secondary School Certificate examination by Federal Directorate of Education, Pakistan