Dr. Neel Kanth Kundu
I am currently working as a Postdoctoral Research Associate under the supervision of Prof. Matthew McKay and Prof. Ross Murch. I obtained my Ph.D. in ECE (with Scientific Computing Concentration) from HKUST in 2022, and B.Tech. in Electrical Engineering (with specialization in Communication System and Networking) from IIT Delhi in 2018. The title of my Ph.D. thesis was “Signal Processing for 6G: From Classical to Quantum Communications“. My Ph.D. research was focused on signal processing for reconfigurable intelligent surfaces (RIS) assisted wireless communications and MIMO terahertz quantum key distribution for 6G wireless networks. My current research interests lies in the intersection of classical and quantum communication technologies for 6G wireless networks including signal processing for RIS, MIMO, QKD and Quantum Information Processing.
Skills: Quantum Information Processing, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Convex Optimization, Signal Processing, Wireless Communications.
- Sept. 2018- Aug. 2022: Ph.D. in Electronic and Computer Engineering, HKUST . Thesis Title: “Signal Processing for 6G: From Classical to Quantum Communications“.
- Jul. 2014- May 2018: Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) in Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi. Thesis: Grant Free Uplink Transmission for Ultra-Reliable and Low Latency Communication (uRLLC) Systems in Massive MIMO Networks
- Sep. 2022 – Present: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of ECE, HKUST.
- Dec. 2021- May 2022: Visiting Ph.D. Student at the Wireless Communications and Localization Networks Laboratory, University of Ferrara, Italy.
- Jun 2018- Aug 2018: Visiting Student Intern at the SPCB Group, Department of ECE, HKUST
- May 2017- Jul 2017: Student Trainee at Samsung Research Institute, Bengaluru India (Got Full Time Employment Offer).
- May 2016-Jul 2016: Visiting Student Intern at Rice Integrated Systems and Circuits Lab, Rice University, USA
- Fall’17 : Teaching Assistant for the course ELL311: Communication Engineering at IIT Delhi.
- Spring’18: Teaching Assistant for the course ELL205: Signals and Systems at IIT Delhi.
- Spring’19, Fall’19 & Fall’20: Teaching Assistant for the course ELEC2600: Probability and Random Processes in Engineering at HKUST.
- N. K. Kundu, R. K. Mallik and M. R. McKay, “Signal Design for Frequency-Phase Keying,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 2020.
- N.K Kundu, M.R. McKay, “Channel Estimation for Reconfigurable Intelligent Surface Aided MISO Communications: From LMMSE to Deep Learning Solutions ” in IEEE Open Journal of Communications Society, March, 2021.
- N. K. Kundu and M. R. Mckay, “Large Intelligent Surfaces With Channel Estimation Overhead: Achievable Rate and Optimal Configuration,” in IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, May 2021.
- N. K. Kundu, S. P. Dash, M. R. McKay and R. K. Mallik, “MIMO Terahertz Quantum Key Distribution,” in IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 3345-3349, Oct. 2021
- N. K. Kundu, M. R. McKay and R. K. Mallik, “Machine-Learning-Based Parameter Estimation of Gaussian Quantum States,” in IEEE Transactions on Quantum Engineering, vol. 3, pp. 1-13, Dec. 2022.
- N. K. Kundu, S. P. Dash, M. R. McKay and R. K. Mallik, “Channel Estimation and Secret Key Rate Analysis of MIMO Terahertz Quantum Key Distribution,” in IEEE Transactions on Communications, Mar. 2022
- N. K. Kundu, Z. Li, J. Rao, S. Shen, M. R. McKay, and R. Murch, “Optimal Grouping Strategy for Reconfigurable Intelligent Surface Assisted Wireless Communications,” in IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, Mar. 2022.
- R. Liu, G. G. Rozenman, N. K. Kundu, D. Chandra, and D. De, “Towards the Industrialization of Quantum Key Distribution in Communication Networks: A Short Survey,” in IET Quantum Communications, June 2022.
- N.K Kundu, M.R. McKay, “A Deep Learning-Based Channel Estimation Approach for MISO Communications with Large Intelligent Surfaces” 31st Annual International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, London, United Kingdom,2020, pp. 1-6.
- N.K Kundu, M.R. McKay, “RIS-assisted MISO communication: Optimal beamformers and performance analysis “, in IEEE GLOBECOM’20.
- Quantum Communications in 6G Wireless Networks: Invited talk at Washington DC Quantum Computing Meetup.
- Presented a talk titled Signal Processing for 6G: From Classical To Quantum Communications, in the CommNets seminar series at the EEE Department, University of Melbourne, Australia, May 2022.
- MIMO Terahertz Quantum Key Distribution, Contributed talk at QWorld Quantum Science Days’21.
- Signal Processing for 6G: From Classical To Quantum Communications, One of the three winners at Global Young Scientists Summit’21 Video Contest. Video Link
- 2018- 2022: Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS)
- 2022- Recipient of HKUST RedBird Academic Excellence Award in recognition of academic excellence and leadership skills.
- 2022- Recipient of Overseas Research Award for carrying out research as a visiting Ph.D. student at the University of Ferrara, Italy.
- 2022- Participated in iQuHACK 2022, MIT’s quantum computing hackathon.
- 2021- Recipient of Hong Kong Telecommunication Institute of Information Technology Post-Graduate Excellence Scholarship.
- 2021- Selected to Participate in Global Young Scientists Summit’21, a forum that includes talks from Nobel Laureates, Fields Medal, and Turing Award Winners, organized by NRF, Singapore.
- 2021- Selected to Participate in Quantum Computing Hard- and Software Summer School 2021, organized by EPFL and ETH Zurich.
- 2021- Selected to Participate in ASPIRE Forum 2021 – Student Workshop, organized by Tokyo Tech.
- 2020- Our proposed solution mmWaveNet Ranked 4th in Channel Estimation in Millimeter-Wave MIMO Systems problem statement of the first ITU AI/ML in 5G Challenge.
- 2015-18: Recipient of IIT Delhi Top 7% Semester Merit Award.
- 2014: Secured All India Rank 801 in JEE Advanced given by 150,000 students for admission to IITs.
- 2014: Received Letter of Appreciation from the Minister of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India for securing 97.8 % (Aggregate) and 100% in Chemistry in All India Senior School Certificate Examination (Class XII) conducted by CBSE.
- 2014-2018: Received Dhirubhai Ambani Scholarship by Reliance Foundation for being in National Top 1% merit list of Class XII Exam.
- 2013: KVPY Scholar awarded by Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India .
- 2013: Awarded merit certificate in NSEP (Physics Olympiad) for ranking among national top 1%.
- 2013: Awarded merit certificate in NSEA (Astronomy Olympiad) for ranking among national top 1%.
- 2013: Best Student Award: I was awarded the Best Student Award for the best all round performance during my school years.
- 2010: Recipient of the prestigious NTSE (National Talent Search Examination) scholarship, conducted by NCERT.
- 2009: Winner of Nationwide Competition, “Kotak Young Scrabble Master“. Mentored by World Scrabble Champion Mr. Ganesh in Kualalumpur, Malaysia.